Chapter 6/7: Explain Jem’s statement: “When I went back they were folded across the fence… like they were expectin’ me,” (Lee, 78). Cecily Chung
Jem’s statement “When I went back they were folded across the fence… like they were expectin’ me,” (Lee, 78) is said when Jem is telling Scout about his retrieval. A few days earlier, Jem, Dill, and Scout had journeyed into the Radley’s yard to get a closer look. However, they had to make a quick escape, and Jem’s pants got caught on the fence. He couldn’t yank himself free, so he left them behind. The following night, Jem goes to retrieve them, but he notices something off about them.
Jem doesn’t say anything about his observations until a few days later. “‘When I went back for my breeches--they were all in a tangle when I was getting out of ‘em, I couldn’t get ‘em loose,’” (Lee, 78). Jem states that his pants were thoroughly stuck, but as stated before, they had been freed by someone else. This means that someone had seen Jem escape, but chose not to tell on him and instead give him the easy way out.
Another observation Jem made, was that his pants would have been torn after they were freed but they weren’t. “‘They’d been sewed up. Not like a lady sewed ‘em, like somethin’ I’d try to do. All crooked. It’s almost like--’ ‘--somebody knew you were comin’ back for ‘em’,” (Lee 78).
Jem’s pants had not only been rescued, but had also been salvaged by a stranger. Not only had the pants been repaired, but they had been laid out for Jem to come and get them. Whoever had done it, must have known that Jem was planning on coming back that night, even though he had only explained his plan to Scout minutes before he left. The person that restored his pants, seems to know a lot about his life and must be listening in one way or another.
I also think there is an element of fear in Jem's statement. As you (CC) said, the pants being sewn up means that someone knows that Jem was there - "like they were expecting me" (Lee, 78). Jem is scared of the consequences of someone knowing that he was there, because it means that someone was watching him, and knows what he did. This terrifies him, especially because of the superstition surrounding the Radley yard and going in there. I think Jem is afraid of being caught, especially by the person who sewed up his pants, because he reads a threat in the act - someone knows that he was there.
ReplyDeleteIn this scene I agree that Jem is significantly troubled, and the fact that he stays moody and quiet for a week prior to the night puts emphasis on his emotion. The reason he is so bothered by what happened to him is less the fact that he was shot at but the fact that his pants were ready and waiting for him when he went to pick them up. This means that someone clearly had an agenda to help Jem and keep quiet about it, but also the idea that whoever the helper was knew that Jem would be back suggests that he has been watched for a while. Jem understands that he is being watched from inside the so feared Radley house, and he is terrified because of this, and the fact that someone has been leaving items for him and Scout in a tree adds to his fear. I think that Jem is afraid of someone knowing about the truth of who Nathan Radley really shot at, but I believe that knowing that someone has been watching him troubles him more.
ReplyDeleteJem is clearly extremely troubled and confused in this scene. Before Jem gives Scout a thorough explanation about his strange behavior, he stayed silent and moody throughout the previous week. His strong emotions shows the reader, how he is very troubled by the events that occurred. Jem had a very momentous evening the day of the shooting, as not only was he shot at, someone knew he was investigating the Radley home that night. When Jem was mid-escape, his pants got stuck on the school fence. When Jem returned to retrieve his pants they were sewn, folded, and laid outside. This was a sign, that someone knew that Jem would return. This terrifies him, as he realizes not only does someone know about his sly actions and sneaking around, but he could face severe punishment. Jem and Scout had also been receiving items in the Radley Tree, which could be connected the the strange events occurring.
ReplyDeleteI think that though Jem feels afraid or thinks that it was creepy that someone fixed his pants, that whoever did was doing it out of kindness. Jem told Scout how, "They'd [his pants] been sewn up. Not like a lady sewed 'em, like something I'd try to do." This showed how the person who sewed the pants doesn't sew much, but they really wanted to help Jem, so they tried their hardest. Even though the kids are a bit scared of this gesture, I believe that it came from someone who truly cared for and wanted to help Jem.
ReplyDeleteI think that seeing his pants there scares Jem because that means that someone knows that he was at the Radley's and that the pants were "like they were expecting me" (Lee, 78). Jem is worried that someone has seen him and that they might tell Atticus. Atticus has clearly told the kids to leave Boo alone, and Jem knows that he would be in huge trouble becuase Atticus would have found at that Jem lied to him. Jem is also worried of the consequence of going into the yard. Even though he doesn't know who sewed his pants, he sdoes believe that it was Boo and he worries that it was his way of threatening him and saying that I know you were here.
ReplyDeleteI think Jem's original reaction was very concerned and scared. He knew someone had to have mended his pants, he assumed it was on of the Radleys. I think Boo was trying to reach out to Jem. Jem explains, “When I went back they were folded across the fence… like they were expectin’ me,” (Lee, 78). I think Boo is trying to show a helping hand and try to connect with other kids but it is hard for him because he is at a disadvantage by being known as "Boo Radley".
ReplyDelete